|Postcard rendering of the Windsor Park (author's collection).|
The Windsor Park was constructed in 1950 as a semi-residential hotel; about half of the residents were permanent, and it had the feel more of an apartment house than a hotel. Part of the space was leased to the British government for use by its embassy. In the late 1950s, new owners tried to emphasize the hotel aspects more. They expanded by acquiring a 5-story building across the street at 2116 Kalorama Road that had been constructed in 1926. It became an extension of the hotel. They also reclaimed the space previously leased out to the British. Altogether, the Windsor Park grew to 300 rooms.
|The hotel lounge in the 1960s.|
|The dining room in the 1960s (postcards from author's collection).|
|The building in May 2012, waiting to be torn down (photo by the author).|